I’m still loving all of the new features in WordPress 3.1, even though I have run into a few snags. After updating one of my client’s sites, I noticed that every single page and post was giving a 404 error. I did all of the usual things, checking my .htaccess file, made sure mod_rewrite was working etc… After seeing it wasn’t any of those I decided to disable my plugins to see if that was causing the problem, and YES!
If you are experiencing 404’s in WordPress 3.1 follow these steps:
- Disable all of your plugins and see if that is the root of the problem.
- Turn your plugins back on, 1 by 1 until you find the offending plugin.
- Empty your WordPress cache.
- Go to “Settings”, “Permalinks” and press save. This will refresh your permalink structure.
For me, the offending plugin was “Top Level Categories”. Glad that’s over with!